In order to keep our dog healthy we opted to make a homemade meal in order to mix it with the dry food. There are other options like raw diet, full homemade meals, vegan meal, etc. but while we make the full transition we wanted to look for an option to feed her healthier food.
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1lb turkey ground meat
- 1 1/2 cup carrots
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1 cup sweet potato
- 6-7 leaves rosemary
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- rice cooker:
25-30 minutes warm
30-40 minutes cook
- stove top:
- Boil two cups of water on high heat.
- Stir in brown rice until the water simmers down, turn the heat to low-medium and cover the pot. It takes about 40 minutes to get properly cooked.
- In another pot boil 5-6 cups of water and boil the vegetables for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Once the veggies are cooked save a cup of the water, while draining the rest.
- Use the cup of water saved to cook the meat while mixing in the vegetables and rice.
- Add the oatmeal and rosemary.
- If necessary you can add more water, to the desired moisture content.
- If deciding to do it in a rice cooker, I recommend pre heating it while cutting the vegetables, in order to save time.
- Feel free to add extra pet friendly ingredients such as parsley, apple, pumpkin, bell peppers, etc.
- Best to storage in separate bowls and freeze half of the meal so it last longer.