An oatmeal bath is a good way to keep your dogs coat healthy. The oatmeal its really versatile; it will help damaged skin by soothing the itchiness and smoothing the dry skin. If you are looking for ways to have a shinier and healthy coat check this post out as well.
There’s two ways you can give your dog an oatmeal bath:
- Soak method
- Rub method
- Blend one cup of plain, uncooked oatmeal in a blender or food processor until it is a fine powder. You can use instant or regular oatmeal. This will ensure that the oatmeal dissolves quickly in water.
- It’s recommended that you place a non-slip bathtub mat down before starting the bath. Oatmeal can be slippery and you want your dog to be as safe and comfortable as possible during bathing.
- Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water until it is at a level that reaches your dog’s chest when standing up.
- Stir oatmeal into the water until it dissolves into water.
- Place your dog into the bathtub.
- Using a cup or your hands, scoop up the oatmeal water and pour over your dog’s back, head (avoid their eyes) and stomach.
- Continue to pour the oatmeal water over your dog for 10-15 minutes. You’ll probably find that they’ll be more comfortable if you talk to them and pet them during the process – as a 15 minute soak can seem like a lifetime to a nervous dog.
- Remove your dog from the bath without rinsing and dry their skin with a towel. The oatmeal solution will leave a protective layer on their skin and help to eliminate itchiness.
2Oatmeal Rub Method
An alternative to the oatmeal soak method is a technique by which you rub oatmeal on your dog’s skin.
- Combine 1/2 cup of plain, uncooked oatmeal with 1/2 cup of water. You can use instant or regular oatmeal. Stir until the mixture becomes gooey.
- Use cheesecloth, an old stocking or sock and put the oatmeal mixture into the cloth. Tie ends together tightly with a string or rubber band.
- Place your dog into your bathtub. You can either fill the tub with water, or just use a bowl or cup to pour water over your dog to rinse their skin.
- Rinse your dog’s skin and fur with warm water.
- Rub the oatmeal-filled cloth over their wet skin using circular motions. Do this all over your dog’s body – particularly in areas that are most itchy. Continue to do this for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your dog lightly with warm water and dry their skin with a towel. Don’t worry about thoroughly rinsing their skin, as the oatmeal will act as a protective layer and help eliminate itchiness.