Super Bowl Sunday! Let’s face it, most of us will be tuning in to watch the Super Bowl. Some can’t wait for this day and I don’t blame them. It’s the perfect day to fire up the grill in the afternoon, load up on snacks, beverages, and dessert. While all of this sounds like fun, we must keep an eye out for the safety of our pets because most of these foods and beverages are toxic to dogs and cats if consumed.

That’s why we are sharing some pet safety tips to keep your pet safe before, during and after the Super Bowl.

6Alcohol & Caffeinated Beverages

No matter the amount, alcohol is toxic to our pets. If consumed it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, coma or in some cases death. Sugary, caffeinated sodas can be toxic to pets as well. If digested it may lead to an abnormal heart rhythm, seizure, and even death.

5Chips & Dips

Because most dips contain onions and garlic it can be extremely toxic if digested, it can cause anemia in our pets. Chips because of the high salt content it can cause excessive thirst, urination, and sodium poisoning.


More like GuacaNO-NO! Avocados contain persin, which is a substance that can be fatal to birds. While it’s not clear if an avocado is toxic to dogs and cats it may cause an upset stomach to some pets. But what you need to keep an eye out is on the pit of the avocado. If digested it can cause intestinal obstruction or it can even become stuck in their throats.

3You Scream, I Scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream

We all love ice cream, even our pets! That cold, creamy, sugary treat that us humans enjoy so much can upset our pets digestive system and cause some distress to their stomachs and maybe diarrhea. That’s why we suggest keeping your pet’s away from dairy products.

2Nuts & Chocolate

Nuts besides being a choking hazard can be extremely poisonous to our pets. Even in small amounts, it can cause fever, vomiting, muscle tremors, weakness and an elevated heart rate. If combined with chocolate it can be a fatal combination because chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine.

1Fat Trimmings & Bones

These yums-yums which is what I like to call the fat trimmings shouldn’t be fed to our pets. If fed to dogs, it can cause pancreatitis and if fed to cats, it can cause an upset stomach. Bones are a BIG NO-NO, doesn’t matter the size. If fed it may lead to choking or they can cause an obstruction in our pets digestive tracts. The bones can also break off and puncture their stomach lining, if left untreated it may lead to death.

We might get distracted by watching the game, attending our guest and we might forget to check on our pets. It’s important to follow up and check if the pets are safe and free from toxic foods. Remember to keep them entertained with toys and hydrated.

It’s important to advise your guest the dangers of certain foods and drinks while having the pets around. Upon the arrival of your guests ask them not to feed or sneak food to your pets. If by any chance you notice your pet ingested something or are acting sick, bring them to your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Follow these simple safety tips and make the day more enjoyable for you, your guests and your pets!

Stay safe and enjoy the game!



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here